Effective Software Asset Management System
The main benefits of implementing effective software asset management systems:
- reducing the total cost of the software assets via eliminating the manual audits required much time and defining the overspending on the software licenses;
- controlling the current software needs and forecasting the future software needs by collecting the company's data and planning technological upgrades;
- minimizing risks concerned with security through enforcing hardware standards and preventing unauthorized software using;
- restricting risks concerned with compliance through preventing using personal computers with the unlicensed software applications and reporting to sellers in the case of detecting such situations.
The key to a successful IT asset management software system is the hard work performed by choosing the right SAM tool. This process requires good preparation and well knowing the company, its personal, business activities, and plans.
The process of choosing the right IT asset management software system includes:
- estimating the company's current IT environment,
- defining the budget that can be spent on buying the SAM system,
- determining goals of using the software asset management system,
- determining the corresponding human resources,
- designing business processes supporting the company’s business objectives,
- determining the company’s requirements for the SAM system.
After choosing the IT asset management software system that best meets your company’s needs, the next step is coming; namely, it is the time of implementing your new SAM computerized program.
The main steps for implementing the software asset management system:
- performing the inventory of all personal computers hardware and software used by the company by taking into consideration the licensing agreements and installed unauthorized applications;
- reviewing the usage of software with the purpose to see whether the company has bought too many or few licenses, to deallocate unused licenses, and to better plan the future software consumption;
- establishing ongoing software asset management processes.
Today, software solutions are indispensable tools in performing business activities. Moreover, since computers entered our life, it is difficult and, even impossible, for companies to be competitive without using modern hardware and software. Any organization that uses the software in its business processes needs to provide software asset management (SAM) or, in other words, to control, support, protect and utilize computer programs.